We have been cleaning our homes since the beginning of time. There have always been simple and effective solutions for a clean house using ingredients that are readily available and completely non- toxic. Look no further than your pantry to make some very powerful cleaners that are family and pet friendly! Add a few drops of essential oils, and your home will smell fresh and clean while being completely green.
Let’s take a close look at our ingredients!
Vinegar: Vinegar is 5% acetic acid. This acid fights against bacteria and other yuckies you don’t want living in your home. Vinegar can’t be used on every surface (like marble and granite), but even with its limitations vinegar is an extremely versatile product to keep in your natural cleaning tool kit.
Lemon Juice: Fresh citrus, particularly lemons and lemon juice, is an amazing addition to natural cleaners. Lemons contain antibacterial properties which aid in fighting unwanted germs and bacteria in the home. Citrus also provides an amazing fresh scent to homemade cleaners.
Essential Oils: Essential oils are very popular today, but the truth is before the popular oil brands began their MLM programs essential oils were being used by generations before us. Dancing Willow has been offering the highest quality essential oils since we began!
Essential oils are basically concentrated oils derived from plants. An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation, often by using steam. Some are extracted by chemical methods and this is not recommended.
Essential oils not only provide a pretty, natural fragrance to homemade cleaners, but also important disinfecting properties. There are real benefits to offering aromatherapy into your cleaning and certainly replacing the toxic chemical ‘cleaner’ smell with one that has healing benefits should be reason enough to go natural, A few of my favorite essential oils for cleaning, include: eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree, peppermint, lavender, and orange.
Castile Soap: Castile soap is a concentrated vegetable-based soap made of ingredients you can actually pronounce. This soap is gentle on the skin and effective in the fight against dirt, grease, and germs. Dr. Bronner’s is a popular brand of castile soap. It can be used to clean just about anything and everything: your face, your laundry, and even your stinky dog! Pretty amazing stuff.
Come by the shop and check out our endless supply of Essential Oils and find the one that makes your heart sing! Is it juniper or vetiver or rose? The beauty of it is that it’s up to you!
- Castile Soap Surface Cleaner
- 2 cups distilled water
- 1/4 cup castile soap If you feel like this amount is too soapy for you reducing the amount to 2 TB is still considered an effective dilution according to Dr. Bronner's.
- 15 drops lavender, peppermint or orange essential oil (or your favorite!)
- For the castile soap cleaner, pour the water into a 16oz. spray bottle (use a funnel, if needed). Add the castile soap and essential oil. Gently shake the cleaner. This cleaner may be stored at room temperature.
Vinegar Surface Cleaner
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced (optional) use quickly as lemon will go bad over time
- 15 drops lavender or peppermint or orange essential oil
- For the vinegar cleaner, pour all the ingredients into a 16oz. spray bottle (use a funnel, if needed). Gently shake the cleaner. This cleaner will need to be stored in the fridge between uses due to the fresh lemon juice.